Saturday, December 29, 2007

Abstract for "In Memory"

The project I've been paying the most attention to is one that's technically been worked on on-and-off since 10th grade. Very loosely connected though, the different ideas of it over the years have little in-common. Originally, I wanted to make a puzzle-game using photographs, just for the sake of some cool images. Since then, the concept has become a messy amalgam of different modules ranging from meta-narrative, to self-exploration, to aesthetics; to name a few. Instead of being pretentious and annoying however, I'd much rather highlight a few of the major themes that guide the current incarnation of the plan.


The game's premise in its most simplified form:

A point-and-click game where the player explores a world made up of images that are spatial and abstract alike. This is the world of the protagonist's memories (he's in a coma, though this shouldn't necessarily be revealed to the player). How the player interprets these images will determine how the player chooses to interact with the world in order to progress. The player progresses by forming a narrative through which he can further interpret new images and find a solution to the conflict that defines the self-made narrative. Thus, we have many different outcomes out of a collection of elements. In short, I would say that the best way to define the current premise of the game would be "using images as a means of exploring the fluidity of experience".

Later tonight, I will hopefully be posting more on several thoughts regarding how to elaborate on this idea. Most notably, I will be talking about the specifics of how should the world be interacted with, and how can narrative be represented. These are something of the tip of the iceberg, but as I said before, I am partially improvising and my thoughts should be far more complete by the time I am done with this post.

No comments: