Monday, July 21, 2008

More on Agency

I forgot to write a few things in my last post, instead giving into pretentious waffling. I'll list them down best I can:


-More replayability means more outcomes, which means that there's more that the player affects. This is what I mean by the richness of the interactivity, there's true agency. If there's more agency, then it means that there is more for the player to explore, and a larger space for the player to learn.

-This also means that there is more to be understood for the system that underlies the game. If the game is mastered quickly, the challenge is simple, there is nothing for the gamer with the hungry intellect and imagination. On the other hand, a challenge that can be played over and over is symptomatic of a more mentally challenging game-world.


Hopefully, I'm stepping away from vagueries with this post; but it's early in the morning (at least for a 20 year old), so I can't make promises.

No comments: